February 28

3/1 Science Expo Experiment

Every year at my school, we do a Science Expo. This year my classmates and I had to create solo experiments. I decided to ask the question: “what is the best way to wash your hands?” My hypothesis was: Adults washing their hands for 30 seconds with bar soap will have the best results. I started by getting some petri dishes from amazon and designing my experiment. For my experiment I had my family rub their hands in my kitchen sink. When they were done, I had them wash their hands for 10 or 30 seconds, with liquid or bar soap. I then used steralized qutips to swab their hands.

Then I rubbed the swabbed qutips in my petri dishes. I also swabbed my kitchen sink for my control. I took pictures of the bacteria growth in my petri dishes every day. I did some reseach on whether bar or liquid soap was better. According to my research, liquid soap is more expensive and worse for the environment. Bar soap is more environmentally-friendly and is 3x cheaper than liquid soap. The conclusion for my experiment is: kids wash their hands better than adults with bar soap for 30 seconds. I suggest you wash your hands for 20-30 second with bar soap.

What is the best soap company?

What soap is best for people with ecxema?

What is the best temp. of water to use?

Posted February 28, 2020 by josies2021 in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “3/1 Science Expo Experiment

1. Shane Boland Harrison

Great job Josie and great technique! You could be a lab / research scientist. You chose the correct control by swabbing your kitchen sink. This was a great experiment and I can tell you put a lot of effort into it. Bravo!

Reply